Sunday, September 22, 2013

DecorAcción

A few days after I moved into my apartment, I walked out onto the street and found several strings of multicolored origami figures on the ground in front of the door. There was a woman sitting on the ground making more, and two guys standing around and talking to her. The origami figures were strewn across the sidewalk all around her.

I had no idea what was going on until I talked to my land lady. Apparently, I happened to move in to my new place during an event called DecorAcción (DecorAction in English) in which local artists are allowed to decorate the fronts of stores and buildings in our neighborhood. The past few days, they have also closed off a few streets so that artists could set up tables and stalls to sell their wares.

The neighborhood is called Barrio de las letras or The Neighborhood of Letters (letters as in "a man of letters" - culture, arts, education) because many Spanish authors have lived here throughout the years. I live less than a block from the house where Cervantes lived and the monastery where he is buried. It's already a pretty trendy, artsy place, but this event has made it even more charming and enchanting!

Enough talk; here are the pictures!

The origami figures were eventually strung up across the street!









No comments:

Post a Comment