Sunday, September 29, 2013

Alcalá de Henares

On Friday, Natalie and I made a visit to Alcalá de Henares, a small town just outside of Madrid which is primarily famous for being the birthplace of Cervantes. Since I wrote my honors thesis on Don Quixote, it was obviously obligatory that I visit the house where Cervantes was born and spent his childhood.

Arguing with a statue of Don Quixote outside the Cervantes house museum
But Alcalá also has some other neat things...

The lovely Calle Mayor, with brightly-colored houses atop ancient columns
The University of Alcalá, founded in 1499
Wouldn't you like to go to school here?
Most of all, it was a fun trip for me because it's actually the first thing we've done here that I hadn't already done last summer! It's been great coming back to Madrid and revisiting places that I loved, but it was really fun to become a true tourist again and see something new for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment